Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Review: The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen

The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
Genre: Cozy Mystery, Historical Mystery
Rating: 5 stars

Lady Georgiana Rannoch, 35th in line for the throne, is stuck in Scotland with her horrible sister-in-law and her clueless brother.  Longing for an escape, she takes a job from an advertisement requesting a lady of good background to help host a traditional English Christmas in England.  Grabbing her maid and hopping on the train, she gets there only to find that someone has been found dead in the orchard.  Then, each subsequent day there is another death.  With the help of her Cockney grandfather and her mysterious beau, Darcy, Georgie is going to get to the bottom of is - and have a merry Christmas and happy New Year!

I love the Her Royal Spyness books.  This is the 6th in the series and it did not disappoint.  Georgie's always funny, if prim, and Darcy is just dreamy and luckily there is plenty of him in this book.  Other returning characters include her mom, grandfather, and maid Queenie, but missing from this adventure is her good friend Belinda, whom I'm beginning to miss.

Now, I am going to blame this on my cold, but it took me forever to pick up on the theme for the mystery here.  I am ashamed to say that I didn't get it until Georgie got it.  I wanted to smack my head and say "duh", but I also have to give Bowen credit because she did it in a way so as not to be too obvious.  At least to cold-medicine-dosed me.  Regardless, it had me stumped, and it took me quite a while to figure out whodunnit, so bravo to Bowen for that, too.

Finally, I'd like to say thank you to Bowen for the ending.  I've been dying for the Georgie/Darcy relationship to move along, and while I won't say what happened, if you're a shipper, you'll like it, too.

2 comments:

  1. It has been forever since I've read a good mystery book but this series sure sounds good. Thanks for sharing and looks like I may have to read one of these over the holidays. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're light reads, but sweet, funny and entertaining.

      Delete