I can't say that I've ever really read any fall-specific books, or scary books, so this one has me stumped, but here are a list of books I think would be good during the autumn and Halloween:
1. The Gathering Darkness, Lisa Collicutt. I've mentioned this book several times, but it really does fit the season so well! It's set in autumn, it features a creepy gothic house and it's about witches! It had me on the edge of my seat. Great read!
2. Rebecca, Daphne Du Maurier. Not your typical scary story, but definitely creepy. A new bride comes to her new home to find that her husband's first wife (who died) is still very present in everyone's mind. This one has a ghost not in sepulchral form but more the memories of the first wife that haunt people. Add to that the uber creepy Mrs. Danvers, the housekeeper and former confidant/nurse of the first wife, and you've got a psychological thriller. Also a great movie by Hitchcock.
3. The Turn Of The Screw, Henry James. Another psychological thriller, this one is about a governess who comes to take care of two children and starts to see ghosts. She tries to protect the children, but in the end, it may be she who needs the help! A great classic.
4. Maybe This Time, Jennifer Crusie. Based on The Turn Of The Screw, it is again about ghosts and children. This time a soon-to-be ex-wife does her ex-husband a favor by going to Nanny 2 children whom her husband has recently become guardian of. Creepy house, creepy housekeeper, creepy ghosts, creepy kids, some unwanted guests, a seance and an exorcism. It was great!
5. The House On Tradd Street, Karen White. Realtor Melanie can see ghosts, but tries to pretend she can't. When an old house is left to her in a will, she moves in to find out that some of the former ghost residents haven't moved out...and they don't like her! Add to that an old Confederate mystery and a handsome writer. Loved it!
EXCITING NEWS!!! Krystal Wade, author of Wilde's Fire and Wilde's Army will be chatting with me live on Friday October 19th about her new book, Wilde's Meadow! If you have any questions you'd like to ask her about her book, about submitting or anything else, please let me know and I'll ask her!