Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

Ok my fellow Americans, I am doing my due diligence and reminding you all to go out and vote if you haven't already!

In 1912, my great-great grandmother marched in Washington, DC (my fair city) for the right to vote.  8 years later, her wish finally came to fruition.  I vote every year because not only is it my civic duty, but it is one that my ancestor fought for me to have.  To not vote, or to not be registered to vote, when voting is a right that was not granted to all people, would be blatantly disrespectful to her and the women who fought for it. And that's just the women.  Even when black men were allowed to vote, there were horrible Jim Crow laws preventing it that lasted well into the 1960s.  In fact, voter suppression laws still exist in Mississippi (I believe they passed one last year) and I'm sure other states.

Even if you are a white man, and always had the right to vote in the United States of America, you should exercise your right to vote.  But most importantly, you should make your opinion heard.  Because everyone has an opinion and every opinion matters.  And if you don't like your options - write in a candidate.

So go vote.

Got it?

Vote.

Now since this is a book blog and I'm not exactly on topic, here is a book I've read that touches on voter suppression and the right to vote:

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees

This book is not totally about that, but it starts out that way.  A black woman in the deep South attempts to go vote and is attacked by white men.  Honestly, I read this book in 2009, so it's not as fresh in my memory as it should be, but that opening scene of the woman trying to vote has stayed with me.  I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, so it must be a great book.  Wish I could remember it more!

Happy Election Day!

11 comments:

  1. I will most definitely be exercising this most precious right today. Thanks for sharing the story about you great-great grandmother -- helps remind us that we didn't always have this right that many take for granted now. I used to work in a nursing home and it was amazing to see how many of the elderly residents were so passionate about voting -- especially during the last presidential election since it was such a historic moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great-grandmother was adamant that her granddaughters vote, and so my mother was adamant that I always vote. Our politics don't always agree, but we both always encourage everyone to exercise their right.

      4 years ago was historic, but now we need to get a woman in the White House!

      Delete
  2. Good points Sus! And thank you for the book suggestion on the topic :) this is a big day, I aM anxious for the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious, too! I've heard from a few different places that the outcomes of the election may not be tallied tonight. I sure hope not - staying up until almost midnight to find out who is President is hard enough without having to find out we have to wait even more!

      It's like the adult version of waiting for Santa Claus.

      Delete
  3. Regardless of who people vote for, I hope they just vote.

    Really didn't like that book though. Bored me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it 5 stars, but it's not a good recommendation considering I don't remember much else about it, huh? I vaguely remember wanting to see if honey would make my hair less frizzy, but that's about it.

      Delete
  4. This was a GREAT book.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud to have the right to vote. Thanks to your great-great grandmother for fighting for us to have that right!

    And I enjoyed Secret Life of Bees. Much better than the movie, though the movie was still good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I voted this morning in Virginia. It took a little over three hours to get through the line! But, I'm glad I voted! Thanks to people like your great-great grandmother - I can.

    ReplyDelete